Wednesday 19 February 2014

Let Me Teach You How To Jive And Wail

In yet another effort to branch out in my reading genres, I decided to attack some classics. It was NOT easy.

I started with an attempt at Dracula, but it just couldn't get into it. I made my way through some Shakespeare, and the interesting Wizard of Oz (which yes, I'd never read despite it being one of my favourite movies), but then got stumped on The Scarlet Letter. The old language was so difficult to understand and get through, way too much prose. It took me a couple of weeks, but I made it. But I wasn't looking forward to attacking any more heavy old English.

As the deadline for my list approached, I stocked up on several classics. I did enjoy The Great Gatsby, as well as Black Beauty, and The Wind In The Willows wasn't bad, but I was running out of books I had any motivation to read. I didn't want to force myself to read things I didn't enjoy, not to mention that time was running out.

After my insane LTO that had me run ragged, I decided to slightly alter the goal. Instead of reading 15 classics, I dropped it to 8. I still feel like it got me to read several books I normally wouldn't, so I was quite ok with the change.

The last one I read...

No comments:

Post a Comment