Monday 17 February 2014

By This Time Tomorrow, You'll Aim To Miss Your Foot

Flexibility has never really been my strong suit. Even when I was in karate, and actually spent a fair bit of time working on it, I don't remember being that flexible.

And of course as I gained weight and became less fit, it was even less likely to reach my toes.

Any time I went through a running spurt, I stretched after every run, and always finished with a reach for my toes. I rarely got there. A few rare occasions I could skim my shoes, but that still wasn't quite the floor.

As the end of my 1001 days approached and I had yet to tick this goal off my list, I was afraid it wasn't going to happen, and potentially not for lack of trying. If all my other sincere efforts to touch my toes hadn't succeeded, even if I stretched every day for the last 2 months, I might never get there.

A couple of weeks ago I did one of my workout videos, and during the cool down, I touched my toes. Like actually completely touched them. I was shocked. And in disbelief. I finished the workout, and spent about 20 minutes afterwards touching them again and again, making sure my knees weren't bent, that it was really real.


I figured it was a fluke. I didn't try again for a couple of days. When I finally did, I couldn't really touch them. But after another workout a few days later, I could touch them again. So I would randomly keep trying. And sometimes I could, sometimes I couldn't.

Either way, I've touched my toes. And for the most part, I can now without any kind of warming up or workout beforehand. It's bizarre, it makes no sense, I have no idea why all of a sudden I can do it, but I can!


No comments:

Post a Comment