Sunday 23 February 2014

Ain't Got No Picture Postcards, Ain't Got No Souvenirs

Sadly, the goal to test-drive a Beetle had to change.

Since Volkswagon and Porsche got together, and they altered the look of the Beetle, I don't like it. And there was no sense test-driving a car I didn't even like. It didn't hold the appeal it once did. I tried to find used ones, but they are apparently quite hard to come by. I wasn't too broken up to have to change up the goal.

I figured car-driving led to roadtrips, which led me to the goal of choosing 20 places I wanted to travel to and why. It makes for a lengthy narrative, but here we go! In no particular order (because we all know Japan would be #1):

1. The Wave

  It's part of Utah and Arizona parks, and there seems to be lots of hiking and camping nearby. There's waterfalls, crazy rock formations and just some beautiful horizons. It looks surreal. I guess if you've never been anywhere even remotely like a desert, it's hard to imagine. But I think it would be a pretty cool trip.

2. Land of Oz Park
North Carolina's abandoned Land of Oz theme park. It is apparently now closed, and has been since 1980, but it sounds like it re-opens for one weekend a year. I better figure out what weekend that is. It's in North Carolina, so it wouldn't be too far to go...

3. Japan
Obviously this made my list for a ton of reasons. Having lived there for 10 months (Nick for 2 of those), I know there's still lots more I wanted to see. My trip was cut two months short when I found out my grandma was dying, and I had had two trips already planned and paid for: one to Mt Fuji (which I didn't get to climb during my first summer there due to the weather; that trip had been paid for too, but was cancelled) and Tokyo, and one to Okinawa. Making those trips would feel like a very large moment of closure for me, in so many ways. I also would want to re-visit Osaka, see what's changed, what's new. Take Nick to Hiroshima (it's hauntingly beautiful), go back to Kyoto. Visit some friends, see a comedy show from my old improv troupe. Someday soon I hope.

4. Italy
There's obviously lots to see in Italy, I couldn't really narrow it down. The Roman Forum, the Colosseum, Venice, Pompeii, the food, the architecture, the art. I would just have to go everywhere.

5. Bora Bora
Birthplace of the over water bungalow. That's all I want.

6. Costa Rica
We had originally wanted to go to Costa Rica for our honeymoon, but it just wasn't in our budget, and there was too many things I wanted to do. Ziplining in the rainforest was one of the big ones. It just strikes me as a beautiful place to visit for nature, the animals, the scenery.

7. New York City
This one has to happen at Christmastime. I want to see Rockefeller Center, the skating rink and the tree, I want to see the Radio City show, do some window shopping, stay in a posh hotel (a la Home Alone 2). This one I've wanted to do for years.

8. New Zealand
Have you seen Lord Of The Rings? That should pretty much explain why: it's breath-taking.

9. New Orleans
The southern, French-Creole culture fascinates me. It just seems so utterly unique. Not sure if I'd actually want to go during Mardi Gras though...

10. Las Vegas
I'm not a gambler, so the tables and slots wouldn't have any appeal for me, but the glitz and the lights feel intoxicating. I'd love to go just to see it, to enjoy the shows, the indoor roller coaster, the ambiance. It's low on the list though, because I don't think the high expense is quite worth it.

11. Dubai
Another one purely just to see the glitz, to begin to even comprehend the opulence. I do imagine it would be nauseating to see how money is spent, but it's still an interesting place.

12. Cape Town
  Basically I just want to be at the southernmost tip of Africa. I think there would be something surreal about looking off towards Antarctica.

13. Athens
Mostly for the Acropolis, but I imagine there would be plenty to keep me occupied in Greece.

14. Cedar Point
The roller coaster capital, why wouldn't I want to go there? Although Canada's Wonderland comes second for number of roller coasters, Cedar Point comes first. It's been Best Amusement Park in the World for 16 years. It also has the World's Best Roller Coaster. What's not to love??

15. Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
Not only can you stay in Glass Igloos to watch the Northern Lights, you can also spend a night in Santa's Cabin. I would endure the cold for this, no questions asked.

16. Vancouver
The caveat to this one is that I want to go by train. It might be finding a loophole to picking only 20 places, but it would get me to see northern Ontario, and the prairies, not just the Rockies. I think it's a perfect solution. Although I've heard a pricey one.

17. African Safari
Like an actual one, not a cheesy theme park in Ontario. How amazing would it be to see these animals in their actual habitat? Not to mention the landscape of Africa.

18. North
Ok, so this one is ridiculously vague. What I mean is that I want to go somewhere where there is 24/7 sunshine during the summer. I figure for someone like me, who's mood can so easily hinge on the sun, it would be a phenomenal experience. Although I imagine it would be annoying when I wanted to sleep. So maybe I'd only stay for a few days... But it would be amazing to never have to say goodnight to the sun...

19. Grand Canyon
For starters, it's gorgeous. But I would really like to complete one of the hiking tours that goes down to the bottom. It would just be a measure of fitness for me to work towards, and that would be pretty spectacular. It's always been one of my mom's dream places to see, so maybe it caught on a little bit.

20. Jordan
I'll admit, I was stretching a bit to come up with 20 somewhat unique places to visit. And I stumbled across this place in Jordan, which seemed to present an interesting type of claustrophobia. It's an entire city! But I also want to see the Dead Sea, so two birds one stone.


I doubt I'll ever make it to all of these places. Coming up with the list made me rather wishful and wistful. It made me not want to ever have kids, because I don't think I'd ever get all this traveling in if we did! Japan and New York City are the most likely to happen. Most of the others will probably never happen, at least not until we win that lottery we never buy a ticket for. It was still an interesting task, narrowing down the list.

And probably the best picture for my blog/pic requirement.... =)


No comments:

Post a Comment