Monday 17 February 2014

Glitter On The Wet Streets, Silver Over Everything

It sounds silly, because it's something that children do, but I've never been able to do a cartwheel. Ever.

I can remember being in elementary school, probably around Grade 3 or 4, and that's how girls flirted with the boys. The boys would play some kind of sport on the basketball court, and the cute girls with tights and skirts would do cartwheels around them. Kinda weird when I think about it. But it's how it went at my school. Being chubby since that age, cartwheels for flirting was not something to partake in. Being chubby ever since, flipping my body over my head was not something to partake in.

It became a fear. Every couple of years, I would randomly try to do one, but I just couldn't let go. I was (still am) too afraid. I'm afraid my arms won't hold me up, I'm afraid I'll face plant, I'm afraid I will really hurt myself. The fear makes me go slow, which isn't really helpful in getting the momentum needed.



I can't say I have mastered the cartwheel. I gave it a very good try today. It was as frightening as my whole ziplining/rope climbing experience became. But I kept trying. Maybe snow isn't the best place to learn. Maybe there is never a best time to learn. I couldn't fathom flipping over 200 lbs up and around. Maybe once I've lost a fair bit of weight. I don't know what the right combination is, but hopefully someday I will conquer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment