Sunday 23 February 2014

I'd Give It All Away For Just The Chance To See Your Face

Another goal that was altered as time went by.

I just don't seem to have the patience to practice on a regular enough basis to get better on the keyboard. And trying to play complicated songs when you don't have the basic skills just doesn't work. I found a website that shows you how to play a given song, with both a moving staff and the keyboard keys lit up as they play, but it was just too hard to get my laptop within sight while sitting at the keyboard. I made some decent progress on Titanium, but I got frustrated. And my neck got sore from craning to see my computer screen while sitting on the floor with the keyboard.

So I changed the goal to one song. I admit I didn't give Silver Bells too many attempts before I abandoned it; playing with the left hand continues to allude me.

I eventually realized this was one goal I was not going to accomplish. The goal to practice 30 minutes every day for a week was reasonable, this one was perhaps not. Any goal I have altered (or completely changed) I have tried to find something comparable, or that accomplishes the same thing (as much as possible). Since this was a creativity goal, a learning goal, I thought I could learn how to say "I Love You" in 10 different languages (an idea I totally stole from the ProjectZero website).

So here they are.



Italian: Ti amo
Mandarin: Wo ai ni
Cambodian: Soro lahn nhee ah
German: Ich liebe dich
Greek: S'agapo
Russian: Ya tebya liubliu
Creole: Mi aime jou
Arabic: Ana behibak
Gaelic: Ta gra agam ort
Icelandic: Eg elska tig

It sounds funny to say them, words that really mean nothing to me, and yet they have meaning somewhere in the world. I doubt I will ever really use them, but it's interesting to have a quick glimpse at other languages.

Does this compare to learning 5 songs on the piano? Probably not. But I surprisingly became ok with goals changing. I thought for sure I wouldn't accept anything less than the original goal, but I think that maybe defeats the whole purpose of having the list in the first place. I'm happy with the alterations; I'm not the same person I was almost 3 years ago, so why would my goals not change too?

No comments:

Post a Comment