Sunday 5 June 2011

Half The Time The World Is Ending, Truth Is I Am Done Pretending

I attended my first Overeaters Anonymous meeting yesterday online (did I just break the code of anonymity by saying that??). It was an interesting experience. I expected there to be tips and suggestions and feedback, but all it really seemed to be was a chance to get things off your chest, people listen to you completely, then thank you for sharing. That was it. Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I just don't see the immediate benefit to it. I feel like I already ramble on to Nick* plenty about all my weight loss trials and tribulations, and heaven knows I do enough journal writing to get it all out. So I'm not quite sure what to expect of this. But I've signed up for the Newcomer Orientation and a email loop, so we'll see how it goes. I want to at least give it a sincere effort.

We've been busy trying to organize our house and purge old things lately, and since we have very (VERY) little storage space, we went out to Walmart tonight to see if we could get an armoire or shelving unit of some kind. Nick* was hungry so we stopped in the attached McDonald's. I was surprised to find myself feeling what I assume is a normal person's response to fast food: nothing. I wasn't craving, I wasn't turned off by it, I just wasn't hungry and could stare at the big pictures and not flinch (normally I would instantly crave their fries and a Big Mac). I checked out their posted nutritional info and had an iced coffee. Done deal. It was a new experience for me, to be surrounded by the sights and smells of food and not be affected in any way. Is this what a normal relationship with food is suppose to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment