Wednesday 29 June 2011

Make Me Believe, Lie If You Have To

As usual, I've been listening to different podcasts on my commute home every afternoon. My two favourites are Jillian Michaels and Two Fit Chicks and a Microphone, but I'm all caught up on those, so I've been listening to Cut The Fat Podcast. I love hearing what different sources have to say, but something they discussed shocked me. I'm hoping it was maybe just a misunderstanding on my part, or maybe I can blame it on the fact that part of my brain was still focusing on driving and missed something key, but from what I did understand, they claimed that it is not helpful to weight loss to do intense cardio. There was some long-winded scientific explanation about burning carbs instead of fat, and basically they flat out said that jogging was worse for you in terms of weight loss when compared to walking.

Now I'm sure there's all kinds of ways where that would be true. If I walked for 3 hours but jogged 30 minutes, I'm sure walking would be better. Or if I walked 5 times a week but only jogged twice. But all things equal, how would lower intensity exercise be better? What happened to calories in vs. calories out? Isn't it better to burn more calories, and have a higher 'after-burn'?

They do favour interval training above all else, but I'm really at a loss. How can burning fewer calories be better for you if you are trying to lose weight?

No comments:

Post a Comment