Friday 25 January 2013

Ain't Going Down Till The Sun Comes Up

I vaguely remember going to a rodeo here in town once when I was little, but I don't remember very much. I like being around animals, I remember that anyway. So I added it to my goal list.

Then of course I started to look up local rodeos and was shocked at how much they cost: $25/p or more! I don't know what I was expecting, but it seemed ridiculous to spend $50 for the two of us to go watch some horses run around. I finally found one that was only $20, about an hours drive from here. We'd been to the town before for Maplefest; it's a nice little spot.


It was a ridiculously hot day, so we sat in the sun and watched barrel races. I also discovered that rodeos somewhat agitate me. Although I love the competition and seeing what both the athletes and the animals can do, I also don't like that tackling small animals is considered sport. I know they do everything they can to keep both riders and animals safe, but it's just like when I watch movies with animals getting hurt: although they are all well trained and protected, you can't tell an animal that it's not 'real', that it's just a movie, or it's just a sport. Animals feel fear, and is it fair to purposely put them in that situation, no matter how safe they will be? They don't know that it's all ok.

In the end, I know it must be humane, or else it just wouldn't happen. But my heart still goes out to the creatures that have to go through it. I realize it's the same kind of thing that actually happens on a ranch with cattle, but at least then it's real life, a rodeo is just putting on a show. I don't know. I feel hypocritical that I would watch and enjoy the rodeo and yet still feel bad for the animals, or still be ok with how cattle is treated on farms and ranches.

Either way, it got me thinking, and I clearly have very mixed emotions. I don't foresee becoming a vegetarian anytime soon, I guess I just view it almost like we are causing them to suffer more than necessary? But what is considered 'necessary'? Why are humans allowed to inflict any suffering on animals? Is that just how the food chain was intended? I don't know, I certainly didn't come up with any answers.

We did have a good day, and came home somewhat sunburned, but I got to see some beautiful animals and spend the day on a road trip with Nick, so I would say overall a win.



No comments:

Post a Comment