Monday 7 January 2013

I Believe In The Faith That Grows, And The Four Right Chords Could Make Me Cry

What is 'the truth'?

Is it even possible to answer that question? My 'truth' will be very different from your 'truth', so could there ever be an all-encompassing 'truth' in the world? I don't think there could be. So truth must be a unique premise. Is the sky blue because I say it is? If someone agrees with me, does that make it universal?

So what then is 'my truth'? Three people could sit in a room and experience the exact same event and have completely different 'truth'. (Ask anyone in the legal system; eyewitnesses are useless). So irrelevant to what everyone else sees, my 'truth' is nothing but what I see. What I feel, what I do.

Does that mean I can control 'the truth'? If truth is a matter of individual perception, and yet I can surely steer my own thoughts and actions, does that mean I decide 'the truth'? Or does 'the truth' have to be more passive than that?

It's true that I am at this very moment wearing blue slippers with white snowflakes. But I chose to put them on. It's true that I often feel worthless and meaningless in this world, but I chose to let those thoughts take over until I really feel it in my bones instead of tossing the idea.

What if I chose to wear fluffy green socks instead? Or what if I chose to think that I am an important part of the universe? 'The truth' can change, and it's all up to me.


Creative Writing Prompt #58: A drunk man sits next to you in a bar, thinks you're his buddy and starts confessing 'the truth'. Write about what 'the truth' is.

No comments:

Post a Comment