Monday 4 February 2013

Relax And Settle Down, Let Your Mind Go 'Round

It turns out that yoga is very instructor dependent.

I've now taken several classes (and tried several DVDs too), and I find it all comes down to the instructor. And I found a good one at the Wellness Centre. I don't know how to explain what made her good, maybe it was because she had a soothing, evenly-paced voice that was relaxing and encouraging, maybe it was because she told us to make each practice our own and do what our bodies want us to do. Whatever it was, I enjoyed going. Unfortunately it wasn't as often as I would have liked; the two classes offered each week weren't at great times for me. I have been to one or two other classes with different instructors, and just not gotten into it as much.

I wouldn't really recommend yoga DVDs unless you are already a yogi. I find that many moves have you in a position that just does not make it conducive (or relaxing!) to turn and look at the TV, and sometimes the instructors aren't being overly-explicit on when they are changing moves, so you can't rely on verbal cues alone. Perhaps if you repeat the same DVD many times, you would get it down pat. I also have a Wii game that creates a new combination of moves every time, so there's no chance to remember the order, making it even tougher.


Whichever you try, I would suggest trying it a few different times before deciding whether you like it or not. I'm still waiting for the desire to try hot yoga; I have some friends who go every week that have left me with an open invitation, but I am not quite ready for it yet. While the Wellness Centre was a very gentle yoga (that I could totally handle and enjoy), I get the feeling that hot yoga comes with a lot more intense poses that my flexibility and strength may not be up for just yet. But someday. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment