Friday 8 July 2011

It's Just A Jump To The Left, And Then A Step To The Right

My run went pretty well this morning, even though it had been a week since I'd been out. I distracted myself really well, so the time flew by. However, I may have distracted myself a little too well, because I am positive I was plenty slower than the last time I ran. Ah well. I'm one run away from being finished week 8. I'm looking forward to being done with all this running though. I probably started training way too early, and now I'm sick of it and haven't even got to the 10k training yet!

I really don't know what to do about my goal to run a half-marathon. I knew I was being ambitious, but I probably should have waited to see how I felt about the 10k race before committing to a half-marathon. But now I don't know what to do with the goal. I'm not really enjoying training now, so I can't even imagine basically doubling it. I HATE the thought of not finishing a single one of my goals though, and if it ends up being the only one I don't do, I'd be really annoyed with myself. Is it fair to change it now? And even if I deemed that to be acceptable, what on earth would be a comparable goal? I do seem to enjoy races, but a half-marathon seems like an awful lot. Maybe I could compete in enough 5- and 10-k races to add up to a half? That wouldn't be so bad... I guess I'll have to work on that one.

The rest of my day so far has been 30 lengths in the pool (progress on Goal #47), a WW meeting (which was really great) and another trip to the library for some more cookbooks (I've gotten on to Hungry Girl) and a book on breaking old habits. And a really delicious salad for lunch! (Bistro Salad) I'm hoping to spend the afternoon getting prepped for week 2 of summer school so that next week is a little less chaotic.

If you hadn't guessed from my title today... I completed Goal #12, watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show! I curled up to watch it last night, as I iced my leg after baseball (I seem to have a penchant for taking grounders off the shins this season). It was an .... interesting experience. I've gotta say, I'm really not sure why the cult following. I had never seen it before and knew very little about it to start. I knew it was Tim Curry, I knew it was a musical, and I knew it involved some creepy transvestites in a scary castle, but that's about it. And in the end, that pretty much sums it up anyway. There wasn't much more to it than that. I had a hard time getting through it; it all just seemed so pointless. After I watched it, I researched it a bit, so at least I know it was meant to be poking fun at certain genres of the time. I get that, but it still didn't seem terribly entertaining. It must have had much more appeal in the 70's, cause it certainly seemed like you needed to be on some kind of trip to really get it. At the very least, I don't think it tries to be something it's not. And it's hard not to be amused by Tim Curry with big dark lipstick and a very young looking Susan Sarandon singing and wandering around in a bra and slip the whole movie. Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed Meatloaf's appearance, and it suddenly became very clear to me who Jack Black seems to be modelling himself after.

In the end, I'm glad I watched it to see what it was about, I learned some new moves to Time Warp, and I can check another goal off my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment