Thursday 29 August 2013

Tonight I Feel Ambitious And So Does My Foot As It Sinks On The Pedal

I actually Googled Chinese firedrill, to make sure we did it properly. Technically, it had to be 4 people and you had to run to opposite corners. Which meant I needed to involve two other people in my insanity.

I figured we could just cruise up to a quiet 4-way stop and swap. But Tammy* insisted it be at a red light. That made me nervous. (Was this even technically legal? lol)

Now Nick is notorious for hitting every single just-red light as we drive, every time. Yet of course on this particular night, we drove through town and back without hitting a single one. Every time we approached a light, we had fingers on our seat belts, ready to whip them off and run. But no luck. So we gave up (momentarily) and went for a walk. The way out of the park has a light, which we managed to hit red, so off we went! Three of us flew out of the car, I slammed dead on into Steve*, went into hysterics, then managed my way around to the other side of the car. Steve was in the driver's seat, seat belt on and putting the car into gear when we realized Nick was still standing at the back of the car. To which the rest of us realized the light we were waiting on was on a sensor and we hadn't tripped it, so we would be at this red light for quite some time. So we ran around the car again. No one really saw us, but it was fun.

I was pretty thrilled; I got to do it not once, but twice! And I laughed so hard I cried, mostly because I plowed head on into Steve; we had both tried to side step each other, but went the same way. I was thoroughly entertained. And I thought I was done.

The four of us went for ice cream, sat and chatted for a while, then headed home. With none of us prepared, we hit a red light at the busiest intersection in town, Nick threw the car into park and jumped out. The three of us quickly realized we had better follow suit, so off we went a third time. This time we were surrounded by cars (5 lanes at the light, in both directions!), not to mention people walking by. We could see and hear people laughing, and the girl crossing at the light repeatedly gave us a thumbs up. And again, we were in hysterics.


(ok, so the photo is completely staged. We had to do what we had to do =)


It strangely reminded me of our wedding day. Nick has the ability to do something totally unexpected to make my day. It rained the afternoon of our outdoor wedding, so as I left in the horse drawn carriage with my parents for a quick tour before making my entrance, I was fully prepared to walk into the indoor Plan B. But while we were gone, Nick saw the short window of rainless opportunity, had guests help wipe down all the chairs, and my dream wedding happened outdoors as I had hoped. But it was a total surprise when the carriage stopped and we were re-routed towards the deck instead of into the hall. But definitely a moment of truly loving the man in my life for working so hard to make me happy. (I also know it was a moment that earned him big brownie points in my Dad's book, for making my outdoor ceremony happen).

Ok, so a goofy Chinese firedrill isn't comparable to my wedding. But it was the sentiment behind it; Nick wanted it to be perfect for me, so without a word, he made it happen, to everyone's surprise. Perhaps small moments to the world, but big moments to me that show me how much he loves me.

Weren't expecting all that out of a silly car stunt, were you?

No comments:

Post a Comment