Saturday 24 August 2013

Swallow It Down, What A Jagged Little Pill

My original goal was to take an AQ purely out of interest and not just because it would look good on a resume. Although I've enjoyed the courses I have taken so far, I definitely chose them largely because they would help me get a job (hopefully). I wanted to take one because I wanted to, not because I should. I was eyeing the Outdoor Ed course, or maybe Guidance. But time (and mostly money) slipped away and the next thing I knew we were buying a house and I had a lot more important places to sink $700.

So I had to find a replacement goal that was somewhat similar. That was a challenge, until I stumbled upon Coursera. Tons and tons of free online courses through universities around the world. My new goal was born: take two courses that I could put on my resume. Two because it was a substitution and wasn't quite as valuable as an AQ. I realize that seems contradictory that the courses had to benefit my resume whereas the AQ was to be taken specifically not to. But I figured an AQ helps my resume no matter which one I take, whereas I could take Coursera courses that would be meaningless and ridiculous to put on my resume. It was my best attempt at something equivalent that I could afford.

I ended up choosing E-Learning and Digital Cultures, and Science from Superheroes to Global Warming, both of which I could easily link to teaching.


The technology course was short, only one assignment, and dealt basically with utopian and dystopian viewpoints of an evolving technological world. I figured the science course would give me ideas on how to better connect students with scientific information. It was a longer course with weekly quizzes, two assignments and a final exam. It got a bit overwhelming near the end, especially when all the house-buying stuff came up, so my effort dwindled in the last couple of weeks but I fared ok since it was basically science content for the non-science person.

Overall both courses were a good experience; I've already completed others and am signed up for a few more, including one on genetics and another on nutrition. I love that I can continue to learn about subjects that interest me. The website was a fabulous find.

No comments:

Post a Comment