Monday 3 October 2011

Something, Something About The Chase

Two Fridays ago, Nick and I celebrated a new holiday: Goal # 99. Being September 23rd, we celebrated the Autumnal Equinox. (hey, it's tough finding holidays I don't already celebrate!)

I found a bit of information on how it's celebrated in Japan, but not much, so I kinda created my own version of the holiday. Like in Japan, I decided to honour family memebrs no longer with us and visited my grandparents gravesite. That was about the extent of my Japanese celebration; the rest was my own doing.

I had spent some time at the dollar store and Michaels and got some festive fall decorations and some orange twinkle lights. The scene was set. I planned fall recipes for the entire day: I started with oatmeal for breakfast, a broccoli salad for lunch and a spectacular apple dinner.  We had Maple Baked Apple Chicken (fantastic), Roasted Harvest Vegetables (needs more seasoning) and Caramel-Apple Pudding Cake (also fabulous). Since it was the night before my 10km race, we spent a quiet evening in watching the season premiere of Fringe. Overall a pretty perfect night, and a holiday I wouldn't mind celebrating again. It was nice to have a low-stress (read: not Thanksgiving) autumn celebration before the orange feelings of fall fade into Halloween decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment