Monday 10 October 2011

Love Is Better Than Chocolate

My friend Shop Girl went 14 months without eating chocolate. She is a brave, brave woman. I figured I could handle a month. And that I did, for the month of September. (Notice I chose a month with 30 days; I would have gone with February but with Valentine's Day....)

Goal # 73 required me to stay away from my favourite food group for a month, and it actually wasn't too bad. There were very few occasions where I was tempted, and just knowing it was completely off the table as an option made it surprisingly easy to say no to.

In actuality, I had chocolate twice during September, but I didn't count them as a strike against me, and I think with good reason. The first time happened at a Weight Watchers meeting. I had weighed in and was just waiting for the meeting to start. At 6:45 p.m and not having had dinner yet, I was hungry so I dug through my purse for gum or a mint, and found a lovely mint from St. Hubert. It was delightful until I realized it was one of those mint-chocolate candies. Strike 1. But was I about to throw away 2 weeks of abstinence over an accidental mint? Hardly. But I did feel really bad about it. Later in the month, I was at M & M Meats and needed a dessert for book club. They had bite-size samples of their Lemonicious Lemon Squares, so I tried one. They were really delicious, so I bought a box. Once I got home and had a closer look at the ingredients, I realized that the topping actually contained white chocolate. I would have never known by taste. Strike 2. But I again was not going to count an accidental encounter with something that did not taste at all like my vice. That and I don't actually enjoy white chocolate usually. Bottom line: goal completed.

October 2 and I baked some Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins. (Mix a box of Devil's Food cake mix with a can of pumpkin. Bake. My kind of recipe). The month was over; bring on the chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment