Wednesday 28 December 2011

It Seems I'm Wide Awake In This Dream

I once dreamed about Sesame Street gone horribly wrong. I'm not kidding. It was even a re-occuring dream. It was basically one of two different nightmares I repetedly had as a child. By now the details are a little foggy and disjointed; really only fragments remain.

Big Bird was there, and some Muppet girl with pigtails. The jist of it is that we're walking down the street and someone (I can't remember whether it is me or not) steps in a wad of gum. The bad news is that the gum has something terribly wrong with it, either a needle jammed in it, or it's poisoned. Which if course means the need for immediate surgery. We get pulled into the building we happen to be standing in front of, which just looks like a corner convenience store downtown (not any particular one, just in general). Inside however is basically an operating room. Random Sesame Street characters are ready to operate on us. It basically feels like every scary surgery you've seen on TV; bright lights, scalpels, medical paraphanalia (things like IV bags, assuming I was old enough to piece that together).

I think I always woke up before surgery got too in depth, but it was always a startling dream. Maybe nightmare is a little strong though. But definitely weird. Somehow it never seems to ruin Sesame Street for me, nor am I terribly afraid of ever having to have surgery, so it wasn't all that damaging. I guess I just find it surprising that it stuck with me for so long.


Creative Writing Prompt #259: I once dreamed about...

No comments:

Post a Comment