Wednesday 3 April 2013

The Sun Was Just Yellow Energy

I don't typically read non-fiction, hence why I added it to my list. The first few didn't really reach beyond my comfort level; several on different aspects of health and weight-loss or fitness. But I got into and read books on procrastination, self-motivation, genetics, stem cells, childhood myths we believe, perfectionism, a dishonest society. It ended up being a great goal because I forced myself to read books I normally wouldn't, and the results were good.

The only books I would say were not a success were the two I read by comedians, Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson, and This Is How by Augusten Burroughs. The first one grew on my as I read, but it felt like she was trying to hard to write in stream of conscious, and sometimes it just wasn't that funny. The second one, I was ready to hurl the book. It was insulting and not funny. Maybe I misinterpreted his point, but I would recommend that unless you enjoy base humour, don't bother. (The sub-heading of the book is Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Drecrepitude & More. Maybe I should have taken the hint). I think he was trying to be self-deprecating for the most part, but it failed to entertain. I had another book of his on my book/movie combo list, and I changed that faster than you can imagine. Very few books do I hate; this one is up there. Maybe comedy in writing just isn't for me. If anyone has any good comedy books they've enjoyed, I'd love to give it another shot. Just don't ask me to read an Augsten Burroughs book, because it won't happen. I don't hate myself that much.

Ones I would strongly recommend? The End of Food by Paul Roberts was fascinating if you have any interest in how food is made and processed as an industry. I ended up buying When Bad Things Happen To Good People by Harold S. Kushner, as well as another book of his, I liked it so much. They do have a basis in religion, but even to an atheist like me, they were valuable books. Procrastination: Why You Do It, What To Do About It was incredibly eye-opening; it truly helped me understand where my procrastination comes from and how to stop doing it. And Because I Said So! was a quick and interesting read on all the little things we believe that our mothers tell us (like feed a cold, starve a flu, or don't run with scissors). Some things were based in fact, but it was surprising which ones are not! The science geek in me loved it, but it was definitely not technical.

Definitely a goal I would repeat on future 101 lists!

No comments:

Post a Comment